Ok, I’m going to put on my NY Ambassador hat for a little here to tell you all a bit about the greatness of upstate NY. For those of you going to Lake Placid in a couple days, this list will hopefully provide you with some ideas of things to do while I’m our on the bike course for 7 hours. For those of you just following the journey, hopefully you’ll be inspired to visit the Adirondacks!
A Little History and Education
- The village of Lake Placid actually sits on Mirror Lake
- Lake Placid is located within the Adirondack State Park – which is the largest park in the country with 6 million acres! That’s one fifth of all the land in NYS too!
- Lake Placid was not only home to the Miracle of the 1980 Winter Olympics, but was also home to the 1932 games. It’s one of three communities in the entire world ever to host the Olympics twice!
- There are 46 High Peaks in the Adirondacks – and that many sandwiches at the little Deli on Main St in Lake Placid Village.
- Oddly enough, the Albany Times Union ran a story on Lake Placid the weekend I was up there training in June!
Things to Do Around Lake Placid
- Visit the Olympic Center and Museum – check out an ice skating show or go to the top of the ski jump!
- Take a Gondola ride at Whiteface Mountain – or rent mountain bikes and ride down the mountain!
- Sit back and sip a UBU Ale at Lake Placid Pub & Brewery
- Play golf, browse independent bookstores, go rafting (I highly recommend Whitewater Challengers)
- Learn how maple syrup is made!
- Go for a hike! Giant Mountain is right on the route from where you turn off I-87 to get to LP. Here’s me on Giant Mountain a couple years ago!