Imagine standing on the diving block before a race – all the nerves and excitement rushing through your body. You can’t stand still- you shake out your arms and legs until the official announces “Swimmers take your mark!” You inch up to the edge of the block and curl your toes over, lean over and wrap your hands around, but suddenly there’s a splash in the water and the gun never went off. False Start.
That’s the best way to describe my first day of IM Moo training on Monday. I thought I was all prepared and ready to dive in. But, I sat on the edge of my bed Monday evening with no workouts accomplished, beating myself up. What happened? Sure, I had to get to work early and stay late, there was a doctor’s appointment, and my parents were in town. But, why did my training plan fall to pieces on day 1? How did I dive into IM MOO training so recklessly?
Turns out, I forgot some key lessons from last year. Kind of like my swimming days – when I knew to take a deep breath and tuck my chin in to avoid diving too early – I taught myself a few tricks last year to make sure workouts stayed on track.
How to Make Workouts Happen:
- Get prepared the night before!
- Put your workout clothes next to your bed
- Have your work clothes lined out as well, to save time whether getting ready at home or the gym
- Fill your water bottles with recovery drink powder
- Prepare hard-boiled eggs on Sunday night – throw one in your purse every morning
- Stock up your office on Monday with food for the week
- Ask friends to go for a run after work instead of a beer
I applied these rules this morning and am happy to report I made it out the door by 5:30 am for a 4 mile run and 30 minutes of strength training at the gym. I even made it to the work by 7:30 am! Let’s hope the rest of this week goes this well.