Yes, I raced Ironman Lake Placid last year.
Yes, I finished.
Yes, I am an Ironman.
So, why on earth would I have any anxiety over Ironman Wisconsin? What’s the big deal, right? To be honest, I feel like a newbie all over again. This year’s Ironman race is a whole new adventure for me. Besides being in a new location (Madison, WI as opposed to Lake Placid, NY) and a different time of year (September vs. July), my preparation for the race was completely different. I spent the first half of the season just trying to figure out where to ride my bike in Boston. I swam by myself mostly at the Charlestown Y. I had to reward myself with coffee at Sorelle or Zumes, but it wasn’t the same as gabbing with the girls after mornings at Eastern Market. And, most importantly, I had to overcome a bike accident and regain confidence on the bike.
So, I’m packing my race bags right now, fretting over what to bring and feeling a little anxious. Then, I start to recall a few key things for this Ironman –
- Remember to respect the distance
- Be prepared for any type of weather
- Know that every workout over the past 26 weeks counted
- Be grateful for the family and friends who helped along the way
- And smile every time I see Mom, Dad, Beth and Serendipity on the course!
Here’s to a great race on Sunday!