Congrats to all my friends who completed the Lake Placid Ironman this past Sunday: Angela, Julie, AJ, Kimberly, Joe, Kevin, Kip, Matt F, Matt C, and Chris! It was a great day for a race – a little rain during the swim, then sunshine and a good breeze through the night. Frankly, I was a little jealous given last year’s nonstop rain.
Here’s a quick recap of my Training/Cheering Weekend at Lake Placid:
- Friday: Biked 85 miles with my IM Moo training buddies, then cooked a pre-race feast for the house and their families!
- Saturday: 10 mile run (no right quad issues – yay!), 2.4 mile swim, dinner with Julie’s family, and enough beer and ice cream with the guys – along with some poster making
- Sunday: RACE DAY! While I didn’t race, I definitely wore myself out! Here’s how:
- 4:45 am Wake Up Call – Headed down to body marking and swim start with the girls.
- 7:00 am: Swim Start! Cheered from everyone as they exited the water and ran to get their bikes
- 8:35 am: Bike Course – Everyone out on their first 56 mile loop and my chance for a little b-fast and rest
- 11:30 am-4:30 pm: VOLUNTEER – I helped set up the last water stop on the run course. It was a lot of work, but a great spot to be! I saw most of my friends finish their last loop on the bike course AND I got to hand out water to all the pros!
- 4:30 pm – Midnight: CHEER! CHEER! CHEER! I kept meaning to go back to the house, but I always saw another friend runing. I made it home to grab some warmer clothes, but then I was back on the course with signs for DC, Boston, and anyone in the Hurt Locker.
- Midnight: Totally amazing to watch Matt Long, the Everyday Hero of the race, come across the finish line with less than a minute to spare before the race cutoff. The entire olympic oval was screaming, jumping, and applauding as the race announcer said, “Matt Long of NYC, you are an IRONMAN!”