Excitement, dread, eagerness, fear…these are all the things I’m feeling as I prepare to head out to my first Half Ironman race this weekend: BLACK BEAR.
The course will be tough! It starts with a pleasant 1.5 mile swim, then a hilly 56 mile bike ride and finishes with a 13 mile hilly run! What am I thinking?
Check out this video of the course!
The race kicks off Sunday at 8 am. My goals are as follow:
- Have fun in the swim
- Get my wetsuit off without too much of a struggle
- Eat well on the bike ride
- Stay strong on the climbs
- Don’t worry about poking along
- Remember to take some advil before the run (my shins have been hurting)
- Reapply sunscreen
- Walk if I need to
- And, if possible, finish before the awards ceremony starts at 3 pm!
I’m excited to have some support at the race too! My buddy Derek is going up with me. And, my friend Jim and his crew will be there racing too!