I asked a few of my fellow Iron Friends for some tips from their IM Wisconsin races. Here are some great bits from Phil and Brianna – amazing athletes who constantly amaze and inspire me!
1. You may want to line up near the waterski jump ramp. It sorta shields you from the worst of the thrashing at the very start.
2. The run up the parking ramp is a pain, but there are good cheering crowds there. Good place for fam to cheer you into T1.
3. I put my shoes on in t1, then ran forever in them to my bike. Unless yours is very close, I’d run with them in your hands and put them on right at your bike. So awkward to run in cleats.
4. As everyone says, the bike course is deceptively hard. Stay smooth and be prepared for a lot of momentum changing ups and downs. There’s one very challenging hill that you have to do twice. Be ready–but there’s a lot of fans there to encourage you up it.
5. Going up the ramp at the end of the bike is difficult again.
6. On the run, I’d walk that one hill–observatory hill–because it’s not worth blowing your legs and there really aren’t any others of note.
7. Enjoy yourself and the great great crowds! You basically have a wall of cheering folks during most of the run.
8. There are more spectators out on the course at IM moo then I have seen at any other race.
9. You definitely can get Ice Cream after the race but I would suggest Frozen Custard!! The closest frozen custard is Micheals which I think is on Regent St, otherwise there are a few ice cream shops on State Street.