Post Black Bear, seven us weighed in on our top lessons learned during our first half ironman race. Here are the top tips for the next half or ironman distance race.
- Eat breakfast early. Peanut butter sandwiches, banana, and rice are all good starters. If you don’t, you may be a little nauseas on the swim.
- Peeing in a wetsuit will warm you up in cold water if only for a minute.
- Take your time in transition, both setting up and during the race. 10 seconds makes little difference over 6 hours! And that way you make sure you have everything you need
- Use LOTS of body glide before the race, apply vasoline to the feet before the run, and when in desperate need, use chapstick for any chafing!
- Make sure you eat and drink plenty on the bike, you’ll be thankful when you start that run! Two bottles of Perpetuem will not be enough. Be sure to have at least two bottles of water and two bottles of sports drink (no matter how nasty Heed is or whatever they give you at the bottle exchange). Also be sure to eat a couple gels and possibly a cliff bar or peanut butter sandwich.
- Speaking of nutrition, ask what nutrition will be on the course. Take Heed if there is Heed on the course and bring your own stuff
- Make sure you bike computer is “on” and working before you go off to the swim start. Mine was stuck in “indoor” mode and only gave me the time.
- Check your tires – they have no more than a 2 year life span. Changing your own tire on the course is a pain in the arse and it really puts you in a bad mood– replace tires every year.
- Lower your expectations on a hilly course or if the heat is bad.
- Hat is better then a visor, you can put ice in it (or at least I would imagine!)
- Maintain your own pace and do not get caught up by competitive flow. Remember that there is a lot of race ahead of you.
- Find time after finishing in order to put your feet/legs up and rest
- Don’t be too shy to ask volunteers to get you food or drink if your legs are too tired.
- Don’t forget to keep eating and drinking when you finish. Coke and cliff shot blocks go along way